Subject: Re: Proposal
From: Ryan Scott <[email-masked]>
To: Dominic Ramsey <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 1994 00:14:29 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 25 Jul 1994, Dominic Ramsey wrote:

> 
> >   Given the likelihood (or is it certain now?) of the AMOS source code
> > eventually going into the public domain, I think a team of programmers
> > should be created which would work on improving AMOS, fixing the bugs,
> > etc.  The team would discuss problems and send code through E-mail, and
> > release updates occasionally.  This way work on AMOS could be
> > coordinated and accomplished quickly, and there would be a single
> > official version, rather than people going and making their own changes
> 
> If you wanted it to be `official', you'd have to talk to Europress first.
> If they release it as PD, then ANYONE will be able to do whatever they
> want with it.

official didn't mean 'Official Europress Seal of Approval'... Just to 
group the most interested parties to come out with a well thought out plan..

> 
> > to the code and having lots of different versions (which would most
> > likely be incompatible with each other).
> > 
> >   If you would be interested in joining such a team, let me know.  You
> > will need experience in assembler, since that's what AMOS is written in.
> 
> I don't see any reason why assembler experience should be needed. There are
> a lot of very experienced AMOS programmers who know nothing about assembler.
> 

True, but what code are they going to write for AMOS?  The development 
list should only have folks who are integral to development, with input 
from the regular amos list, which most in the project would already be on.

> > The AMOS code itself probably won't be out for a while, but the team
> > could still bounce around ideas, compile a bug list, etc., and be able
> > to start working immediately when the code is finally released.
> > 
> >   --Andy Church
> 
> Something I'd like to see would be a change to the extensions system, so
> any number of extensions could be loaded at once, and not have to have their
> own extension number. I think this will be a big problem if/when the source
> code becomes available, with everyone producing their own extensions.
> 

Yeah, I agree 100%.  And Manuel tells me that with AMOS Pro, 2 registers 
get saved & restored every time a command is called in an extension.  
This wastes lots of time...

He's discovered many many new areas that need fixing up.  He's gone 
through more areas of the source code - believes he can speed up sprites 
at least 2-3 times, bobs at least the same, working on copper list 
routines, copperwrap 8 way scroller, aga graphics, and lots of other 
goodies at the moment.  Sped up Screen command which can make a big 
difference depending on the program.  300-25% or thereabouts...

AMOS still has a VAST amount of power that we're just starting to chip 
away at.  It can go many many times faster than it currently does.  Thats 
pretty much the aim of the TURBO project - *speed*